Monday, December 7, 2009

Gen Art Shop NYC 2009

Last week I attended my second Gen Art Shop NYC. This year's event felt more like a trade show compared to last year.
The models were breaking down right as I got there, so I was only able to snap a shot of the menswear. I was really bummed because I saw some pretty amazing evening wear gowns and avant garde pieces.

I was really into the accessories at this year's Shop NYC. Sugar Rock Catwalk favorite, Hayden-Harnett was there with their amazing collection of handbags and leather goods.
Will you look at those studs and geometric designs? Love! I anxiously await the day when I have enough money saved up to get a second Hayden-Harnett bag.

New for me, but something that's been on Erin's radar for while, Gemma Redux was one of my favorite finds of the night. This line by Rachel Dooley embodies everything I look for in jewelry - bold, unique, colorful, and feminine without being dainty. Her pieces achieve the perfect balance of sophistication and edge, using beautiful natural stones and mixed metal chains.
My friend Katherine and I tried on (and played with) the Omne, which is one of Gemma Redux's most versatile pieces. It also happens to be one of the most affordable pieces as well, ranging from $98 to $158. There's a magnetic piece inside the web of chains, so you can wear the piece in different ways and various lengths. If you think about it and do the math, the Omne is kind of a deal.


My other favorite accessory find of the night was B-side by Ken and Dana Design. I literally stopped dead in my tracks when I saw the display of rings. I'm totally obsessed with chunky jewelry and knuckle rings, so you can imagine my excitement when I saw these!
They also had some great earrings and necklaces. My friend Katherine bought the necklace on the left. If you're looking for a geometric statement piece, B-side is definitely worth checking out.

My favorite apparel line at Gen Art was Sally Tseng. The collection was young, modern and sleek. My favorite pieces from Sally's line were her menswear inspired shirts and jackets - really nice cuts and tailoring.
This is Sally, wearing her own pieces including the amazing Ellington Tailcoat. The tail in the back is removable; 2 in 1!

Isn't she so cute?! She's a young designer, but her line has already been out for five years and some of her pieces have been worn by celebs like Charlize Theron. Quite impressive!
Here are a few of the pieces that I liked. I ended up buying a peach-nude version of the silk buttondown on the left and the two-toned oxford shirt below. I felt so guilty for wanting both, but my friend Katherine agreed they were both good finds, fun and versatile.

Overall, Gen Art Shop NYC was a great event, and I'm really glad I went because I'm not sure I would have found some of these other designers otherwise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

those rings are to die for.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...