Friday, November 19, 2010

YouTube Junkie...

I have this obsession with youtube covers. It's my source for finding new songs, talent and just chilling out relaxing to tunes. I don't listen to the radio like a normal person - so most of the time I have no idea what is new and what's not. I admit - I don't know half of the actual artists that I listen to and more often than not I prefer the covers over the original thing.

There's something raw and courageous about someone putting up a video of themselves belting out a tune for the world to critique, dislike, badmouth or conversely - love. Sure there's lots of not so great singers on Youtube but still - it's not easy to put yourself out there.

I've been doing this for a couple years now and a couple of the people I follow actually appeared on Ellen! Here's some of people I've been following:

I saw this video way back when there was only about 100K hits. Now the Aussie twins are up to 5.4M hits on this song alone!
A pretty rocking Indie-ish version of Telephone by Beyonce & Lady Gaga.
I followed both of these people individually and they ended up doing a duet together. Joseph Vincent is one of the people that ended up on the Ellen show for his cover of Replay by IYAZ.

I just found this a couple days ago - what's cool about this is that the entire track is made up of vocals. No background track or instruments - just voice.
And who could forget about Glee! This is actually a dance cover from season 1 where Quinn, Santana and Brittany first audition for the club to Say a Little Prayer For You. When I first saw this I thought it was HILARIOUS and was laughing all the way through. Awesome.

2 comments:

Esther N said...

thanks jeff!!

Anonymous said...

get post! hope you'll share more!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...