Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Now Drinking: Kombucha

For those of you who aren't familiar, kombucha is a fermented drink made with tea, yeast and bacteria. The live cultures sometimes make the drink look a little milky or funky, but don't let that scare you. Kombucha is awesome. It's a healthy elixir, which helps your body detox.

I was first introduced to kombucha years ago by Chef Ito at Au Lac Vegetarian Restaurant back in California. At the time I thought the flavor was too pungent, but after things like beer and wine tastings, I've acquired a taste for it and love it!

Kombucha's become quite popular since then. There are a lot of new brewers and flavors, which is always exciting. When I'm out and about, I tend to buy GT's Kombucha; my favorite flavor is Super Fruits. And when I'm at home, I like to order locally from Brooklyn-based Mombucha. I don't have a favorite Mombucha flavor yet just because I like them all - white tea, green tea, black tea, ginger mint, etc. I'm anxiously awaiting for the coffee flavor to be perfected because I sampled it in it's experimental state and loved it.


Important to note about kombucha, while it is tasty it's not something you should chugged like a thirst quencher. Mombucha recommends drinking only 4 ounces a day, unless you're coming down with something in which case you should drink 4 ounces every three hours.

1 comment:

MOM said...

You kick ass, Lani. Thanks for the mention.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...