Friday, April 1, 2011

DIY: Giles & Brother Hex Nut Bracelet

I'm a huge fan of Giles and Brother so when I saw this DIY on Honestly...WTF I had to give it a go. This is seriously one of the most inexpensive projects I've done and takes no time at all. For a full set of instructions on how to make it click here. I ended up modifying my version so here is what I changed.
I substituted woven cord for twine - I think twine would have been a bit too coarse for my wrist so I chose a softer material to work with. Like twine - cord is inexpensive and you can pick it up at any fabric acessory store (I picked up three yards of this navy blue woven cord for $1). Just make sure whatever cord you choose is small enough to weave through the holes of the hex nuts.
I used a safety pin and secured the knot to my couch (any firm surface will do). I couldn't pull this taut enough freehanded, so the pin was a lifesaver! Also, the tighter you weave, the better the bracelet will hold its shape once you're finished. This isn't really a stop-and-go kind of project where you can do a bit, do something else and then go back to it. Once you start weaving in the hex nuts, there's no turning back until you've finished! I let go a couple times by accident and the bracelet loosened up and the hex nuts all shifted around - so just make sure all your pieces are close by for easy access.
I also opted to wrap the hex nuts around the entire braclet - so instead of using 18 pieces, I opted for 48 (two of which I ended up using to act as part of the closure for the bracelet). Using more of the hex nuts definitley adds weight to the piece but I prefer a fuller look and don't mind the extra weight.

And voila! You're very own DIY hex nut bracelet! It terms of cost - this project set me back a whopping $4.58 so it's super friendly on the wallet and it looks pretty sweet.
Kudos to Erica from Honestly...WTF for making such a rad DIY! Let us know if you give it go and how it turns out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm totally making this on the weekend!!

Shelly said...

love it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...