Whether it's for the environment or for your budget, this holiday season consider doing a clothing swap with your best friends. What is a clothing swap? It can be a little event or get together where everyone brings items that they don't want and trades for something they do want. You know, one man's junk is another man's treasure?
Clothing swaps are obviously budget-friendly, and they're eco-friendly because they're encouraging reducing of waste and reusing of materials. Everyone wins! Did I mention they're super fun? You can give and get without reaching for your wallet! And it really does feel great to see an old dress have a second life with one of your friends.
Clothing Swap: Quick Tips
- The more the merrier applies, but more than a dozen can get a bit crazy
- Ask attendees to bring items that are still in good condition
- Encourage attendees to clean out their closets (items that don't fit, thing they don't wear, etc)
- Can even call it a "Stuff Swap" and expand into other categories like cosmetics (samples, barely used products) or DVDs/CDs
- Setup an area on a large table or on a large rug for everyone to sit and put their items on display
- Do a round of show and tell for everyone to show off what they brought (this part is fun and can get silly)
- Don't expect to trade one-for-one. It's more fun if it's "take what you like, give what you like"
- Have snacks or drinks so even if someone doesn't take home anything they can still have fun
I hope these tips were helpful. Good luck and happy swapping!