Tuesday, March 9, 2010

McQueen on McQueen without McQueen

Untitled from phantom ship on Vimeo.

In February it was confirmed that Gucci Group is going to continue the Alexander McQueen label after questions were raised about the future of the brand. Rumors swirled this weekend about Gareth Pugh as a possible predecesor (rumors quashed this morning) but it's sort of interesting and eerie to see this video now with McQueen's own thoughts of a label without the designer back in 2001 after Gianni Versace's death.

What do you think should happen? I would be devastated to have a McQueen free world but I'm not sure who would be able to fill his shoes. Rumor or not, as much as I like Gareth Pugh as a designer, I don't think he would be the right match. Who can match the creative genius that was?

UPDATE:
Guess that McQueen changed his mind after 2001 because in the new LOVE magazine he tells a different story than the clip above!

"People always ask if I think about a concept or the show or the front row or whatever first. No! F**k off! The client comes first! The collection is driven by what clients want in different parts of the world, so I want them to be able to see it straight away and to judge it for themselves. Well I just think that which celebrities are wearing it, what reviews say — none of it matters if it’s all there for people to make their own minds up. I’m 40 now, but I want this to be a company that lives way beyond me, and I believe that customers are more important to making that happen than press. When I’m dead, hopefully this house will still be going. On a spaceship. Hopping up and down above the earth." - Alexander McQueen in LOVE Magazine via Fashionista

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...