Friday, November 13, 2009

Interview with Funktional's Jennifer Park


We finally had a chance to catch up with Funktional designer Jennifer Park. After checking out her clothing line back in October, Lani and I seriously fell in L.O.V.E. with so many of the super wearable and trend right pieces by this up and coming LA based designer. Much to our delight her pieces are high in quality, flattering and friendly on the wallet.

You can buy the Funktional collection online at ShopNastyGal, eModa and ShopUnica

Jennifer talks to us about her top 5 picks for Fall, her greatest influence and what's on the plate for Spring 2010. Hope you enjoy :)

SRC: What does Funktional stand for?
JP: Fun funky functional

SRC:When did you know that you wanted to be a designer?
JP: Ever since I was a child I would alter my clothing to look different than others but my true calling was when I bought my first sewing machine in college and started buying vintage clothing and transforming them.
SRC: Who/what has been the greatest influence in your life?
JP: My parents, they have always been supportive and showed me with determination and hard work you can achieve anything.
SRC: If every experience is valuable, how does your background in economics help you in your day to day?
JP: It helps me to make important decisions regarding the business aspect of our company.


SRC: After graduating from FIDM in LA, you worked for several companies. I'm sure you must have learned a lot. What was the most helpful piece of advice or experience that you got in preparing you to launch your own line?
JP: Most helpful experience was always working closely with production from start to finish of a garment. But when having your (own) line there are new obstacle everyday, and I feel I am still learning. Nothing prepares you for all the challenges, until you’ve actually experienced it hands on.
SRC: You have such amazing prices, and unique fabrics! Do you always keep price in mind when you design?
JP: I try not to limit my self when designing but try to think as a consumer as well. We all love to shop but sometimes can’t afford everything we want.
SRC: One of our male readers asked if you plan on launching men’s wear one day. Is it a possibility?
JP: Not in the near future but hopefully one day I can gain the tools to launch a men’s line as well.

SRC: What are your five must have items for fall?
JP: Power shoulder jacket, sequins anything, leather motorcycle jacket, thigh high boots, a great fitting moto denim pant.

SRC: What trends can our readers expect to see more of from Funktional next spring?
JP: Mixture of great fabrics, asymmetrical silhouettes, cutouts, and basics with a twist.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...