Friday, December 12, 2008

Housing Works Vintage YSL


I stopped by the Housing Works Vintage Yves Saint Laurent event last night with little expectation. I never dreamed I would own YSL, at least not in the immediate future, nor at a price point I could afford.

Thanks to the generosity of a single donor (English Professor Annie Janowitz donated her late mother Adeline Tintner's collection), 500 vintage YSL Rive Gauche Pieces were on sale to the public. As with all Housing Works Sales, all profits are donated to homeless and low-income New Yorkers living with HIV/AIDS.

The sale started at 6pm, and I got there at 6:05pm but so much of the really special merchandise was already snatched up. But there were plenty of trousers and blazers that I browsed through. And I had a few things in hand when I decided to stand in line and I happened to talk to a kind woman who let me look through her discards. She pulled forth this most amazing 3-pc suit. She loved it but wasn't sure she would ever wear the harem pants and so she offered them to me. I wasn't sure how it would work out, but I just had to try it on. Fortunately the fit wasn't too far off at all, so I happily pulled out my wallet, blowing my clothing budget for the month.
The suit is not only incredibly YSL with such intricate detailing but in amazing condition. The lining is in perfect condition without stain or defect. It feels archival or museum worthy. It's like I purchased a piece of history rather than just an article of clothing. And it's even more amazing because these are pieces from when Yves was still designing the Rive Gauche collection.

Guess I wasn't the only one that thought this, because as I was walking around staff commented how amazing the outfit I was holding was. A man told me that it was actually his favorite of the bunch and actually it was filmed earlier in the day to show on CNN today between (8:30am-9am). He told me to wear the outfit while I watch it on TV.


I also bought a more everyday YSL piece, a totally 80s boyfriend jacket in stripe jacquard. That I'm planning to wear with rolled sleeves.
If you missed out on the sale, there is still a chance. Housing Works has put 10 more special pieces online only. Peep some of what's on sale below.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...