Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Super Easy Healthy Banana Oat Cookies

2013-03-23 19.09.54
Cookies have been food group that I've had to severely reduce since I began cutting gluten, dairy and eggs out of my life. Seriously, I think countless friends have told me that I've lost a lot of weight, and it's not that I am eating less, but I am eating less in terms of baked goods. When I can get it though, I've always appreciated Babycakes Bakery's cupcake tops and cookie sandwiches as well as Enjoy Life's Snickerdoodles in the grocery aisle.

So when a friend told me at a recent get together that we were going to make sugar free, butter free, egg free, gluten free cookies, I had my doubts. Have you ever made a recipe from Pinterest? I guess there is always a first time for everything. I tried on 2 occasions with slightly different sets of ingredients and quickly learned what works best. These aren't cookies in the traditional sense, they are a bit more like dessert bars, but still tasty nonetheless.
--
Tips:
*Use very ripe bananas, the more brown spots the better.
*Use quick oats. You can use gluten-free rolled oats, but quick oats works so much better. Since I'm not celiac, and I couldn't find GF quick oats, I just used regular quick oats, but they exist :)
*Mini chocolate chips work better than the chunks
*Not necessary but if you want a bit of a richer flavor, add a teaspoon and a half of melted coconut oil to your batter. You won't be sorry.
2013-03-23 19.11.582013-03-23 19.13.472013-03-23 19.19.49
Pretty much the base recipe goes:
2 bananas
1 cup of quick oats

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a cookie sheet (don't skimp or your cookies will get stuck). Mash the ingredients together and add any mix-ins. Spoon tablespoons of your mixture onto your cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes until firm and lightly browned on the edges.


For this version pictured I used 1 tsp of cinnamon and 1/2 cup of currants for a spin on an oatmeal raisin cookie.
2013-03-23 19.37.22
2013-03-17 16.52.30
I made another version that instead of cinnamon and currants, I used 1/3 cup of coconut and 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips (you can use carob chips, to cut out sugar, but they have dairy)!  The coconut added a nice texture to the recipe.

Ultimately, my bananas weren't ripe enough, and my chocolate chips were chunks, so they ended melting everywhere when I tried to free them from the pan.  Still not too shabby, and they held together just fine.

For my next attempt, I may try adding some peanut butter to the batter to see where it will take me.
2013-03-17 16.57.332013-03-17 17.06.212013-03-17 17.27.00

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How many calories?
Which variation has fewest calories? Look delicious

Erin said...

I think the currant / cinnamon version - I just did a quick check in a recipe calculator and it comes out at 48-52 calories per cookie depending if you add coconut oil or not (recipe makes about 14). You get 34.2mg of potassium and 10.4g of carbs.

Since the main ingredients are oats & bananas, you're essentially eating a couple bowls of oatmeal and eating a couple of bananas :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...