Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Recycled Fashion: Vintage Finds

I love vintage shopping. Correction, I'm obsessed with vintage shopping.
1. Fashion recycles itself. Many runway trends borrow from previous decades.
2. It's fun. It's like a treasure hunt, and you can end up with something that feels one-of-a-kind.
3. It can be affordable. With some dedication and good luck, you can score some great deals.
In my last shopping post, I wrote a bit about the shopping in Chicago. The vintage shopping here is pretty great. It's less picked over than New York and full of gems. There are plenty of curated boutiques to browse and thrift stores to scour.
Here are a couple of my recent finds, inspired by items from my wishlist.

I've become a bit obsessed with Peter Pan collars, specifically leopard, so I decide to buy a detachable collar that I could wear with a variety of cardigans and sweaters.
1940s collar from Etsy.com, $30
You can plenty of faux fur leopard collars on Etsy, both vintage and newly handmade for $20-$50. ModCloth has one that's a bit bigger than I would like, but priced under $20, it's an affordable option.
Collar of the Wild, $17.99
The other item on my wishlist was a pair of finely studded flats. Knowing that wearing heels daily isn't healthy, I find myself wearing heels more often than I'd like, so I've been on the hunt for a pair of classy flats.
Pour La Victoire Radley, $125.95 sale (retail $229.00)
Loeffler Randall Blaise, $325.00
Last weekend while I was helping my coworker search for jewelry to wear to a wedding, I came across these adorable vintage Anne Klein flats at Buffalo Exchange. They fit perfectly, so they were definitely meant to be!
1980s flats found at Buffalo Exchange Wicker Park, $14.00
For more vintage shopping tips, check out this old video from me and Erin entitled "How to Shop Vintage". It was one of our first videos, so it's a bit dated and sound quality isn't the best but the tips are still relevant!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...