Saturday, February 21, 2009

Trends: Hair & Makeup














I thought the last issue of The Daily Front Row did a great job summarizing the hair and makeup trends of the New York Fall 2009 Runways, so I thought I'd share a scan.

In terms of hair it looks like big hair is back. Whether it be through an 80s style feminized Faux Hawk at Marc Jacobs to crimped locks at Erin Fetherson or Victorian Chignon's at Oscar De La Renta. Hair is textured and full of volume. Is this a farewell to stick straight hair?















As for eyes, there seem to be two dominant trends. Smokey eyes/Racoon Eyes seen at both Yigal Azrouel and Chris Benz. Guess Jenny Humphrey knew what she was doing! The other trend seems to be bright eyed with an extended cat eye effect. The strongest example of this is at Marc Jacobs, while the looks at 3.1 Philip Lim and Adam are a bit more subtle. All three looks share a pearlized silver/ivory color in the corners of the eyes to draw light into the eye area. Adam and Marc Jacobs also introduced a pop color whether it be purple or green but they are not neon or harsh as previous seasons.

Lips also fell into two categories, nudes and red. The nudes themselves were sometimes more pink based like at Marchesa and Richard Chai, and sometimes more orange based like at Matthew Williamson, Rodarte and Michael Kors. Marc Jacobs and Ruffian both featured red stained lips with dramatic upper bow.

I've been loving nude lips for a while, so I'm glad I found a great nude shade with Shu Uemura's Rouge Unlimited BG 960, but I'll have to be on the lookout for red stained lipstick as my red's are more matte. I'm also excited to try out the bright eye effect, although sometimes it's difficult to translate those looks for my creaseless asian eyes ;)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...